Friday, March 22, 2019

Chaos Marines Line Up

I just got my hands on the new Shadowspear box set. I think it is excellent. I like the Vanguard Marines fluff and models, so it works for me. Of course the big elephant in the box is the new Chaos Marines. I hastley slapped one together and formed a line-up.

Taller and broader than the old plastic Chaos Marine, and just a smidge smaller than the Primaris Marines.

 In case you were wondering as I was, the new CSM are the same size as the two from Blackstone Fortress. I thought as much, but it is good to verify.
And the newer Mk VIII Deathwatch Marine just for comparisons sake.
The absolutely tiny metal CSM flamer dude.

Scale creep has always been an issue for all long term lines of miniatures. Some of the early Battletech and AD&D figs are hilarious in comparison to ones released just a few years later.

It's an issue with no easy answers, and a completely personal choice for the collector. Do you just add in the new figs and don't really care about some size differences? Rebase and modify a bit to reduce the differences? Ditch the old stuff or just not get any of the new?

I did sell off all of my old metal Death Guard in favor of the new plastics. There was just no comparison for me in terms of size and quality of the new sculpts.

My Black Legion has been on my to-do list for this year. Now, I have to make my choice. I'm going to wait to see all the new CSM releases before I fully decide.

I can't wait to put the new Abbadon next to the old one...


Go Make Something
Just Make It Work For You


1 comment:

  1. This is great (and a little saddening) to see them all lined up like this. I don't think I was aware just how tiny my Chaos Marines had become.

    Like you, once I see the new sets, I'll see what stays and what goes.

    ReplyDelete