Friday, May 31, 2024

How I Re-Base

 

Just a quick little post on how I do the re(re)-basing. Let's start with a old metal Nob that I now want on a 32mm base. I got some 32mm slota bases for just such things. 

Free the model from its old 25mm base, this is done by either carefully bending the base until it breaks along the slot, or cut it away if it's stubborn. Glue on on new base!

Plastic boy on 25mm base, that I am going to keep him on. 

Carefully scrape the old flock off with a knife. Painting over the old flock is really slow and tricky. Plus, the flock I used just drinks up paint, so that is a no go.

Next, I paint the tops of the bases with Steel Legion Drab, then with the paint still wet, dunk into the vat of new grit. 
My secret sauce is (all Gale Force Nine basing grit) 4 parts super fine, 2 parts fine, 1 part medium, and 1 part rocky. It gives a nice look to the bases. 
Finally paint the base ring with Steel legion Drab, and done! Pretty quick, very easy, and it looks good.

Go Make Something
New Grit for Old Flock


No comments:

Post a Comment