Friday, May 26, 2023

Rockets within Rockets

 

I picked up a Strike Force Agastus box, mostly for the new Burtalis Dreadnought, but I did like the other figs as well. 

Okay, the new Primaris heavy weapon dudes, The Desolation Squad, they take a bit getting used to. 

The All-Primaris force did need a real anti-armour unit. I would have thought a Aggressor variant would have been the choice for a heavy weapons troop type,  with a Cyclone-type pod on top of the backpack. Or a Primaris with a nice shoulder mounted missile launcher. What we got is a huge super rocket rifle with missiles strapped on top.

These guys are damn good at killing armor while retaining some solid anti-infantry firepower too. But the sculpts are...a lot. The weapons are very big and boxy, which is kinda fine, but one just feels like it could have been a lot less clumsy looking. They do look better in real life then they photograph, but still just a bit off. 

They are a welcome, if...interesting addition to my Space Wolves. Now I'm painting up the Close Combat Dread.


For Russ and The Allfather!

Via Cawl's Drunk Design Assistant


2 comments:

  1. Yeah... I'm not into these guys. Their weapon is a little too over-the-top, even for 40k. In a way, it reminds me of an Ork weapon that a Loota or Flash Git might carry (w/more snazzy bits, obviously). I get the idea, but I'm not a fan of the execution.

    I like your suggestion of an Aggressor with a Cyclone launcher situation, or maybe rocket launchers on their gauntlets (rocket punch!). Or maybe a Gravis-armored fella with some sort of shoulder-mounted anti-tank cannon. What about arming up the heavy intercessors w/some sort of anti-tank weaponry? Or hell, what about the Suppressors (the marines that time forgot?)?

    Furthermore, don't Primaris marines already have some dedicated anti-tank troops in the form of Eradicators w/their melta rifles and Eliminators w/their las fusils? Without intimately knowing the stats of how these guys compare to other units, I'm not exactly sure where they land in the force org. I will concede that the Primaris anti-armor infantry isn't exactly overflowing with units, it seems like there are already some very good choices before these fellas came on the scene.

    The good news for me is that if I don't care for them, I don't have to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm not exactly sure where they land in the force org"

      Well, if I remember correctly, these guys can fire "frag" (anti-infantry) or "krak" (anti-armor) missiles, so they have some flexibility that the other units I listed lack. Still, I maintain there's a better design out there. Going back to the Aggressors, they could still have their bolt gauntlets (or whatever) and some sort of shoulder/backpack mounted anti-armor weapon. And maybe the bolt gauntlets are reduced effectiveness when compared to other Aggressors, since that isn't their primary role. I dunno.

      Delete