Saturday, April 22, 2017

New Games Workshop™

Well. Not unexpected, but damn. In case you somehow missed it, GW announced 40K 8th edition this morning. In what looks to be the biggest shake-up of the system since 3rd, I am very cautiously optimistic.

With a new website and more importantly a FAQ (go read it now!) to address some of the news. Let's hit the highlights:

ALL (current) models and armies are valid, even Forge World stuff. Yay!

All current Codexes are not. This is good because it means they are making real changes to the game. Not really bad because I still enjoy looking at older Codexes and I got my use out of them.

3 ways to play. Groovy. Good for pick-up games as well as doing some narrative fun.

The core rules for the game will be free. Words I never thought would come from GW.

I'm kind of enamored with the new folk over at GW now, they are really trying hard to engage with the community, and making good choices for the hobby.

We don't have any clear info yet on what will be changed in 8th edition other than it will be better. Less special rules and a cleaner turn system are at the top of my guess list. We will find out very soon.

I think this is a bold, and very necessary move to keep 40K viable. I'm looking forward to the Dark Future once again.

The Emperor Protects
And Will Hopefully Trim the Rules Bloat.  


2 comments:

  1. I think my feelings are much the same as yours. Lets hope for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me hopeful as well. Fingers crossed.

    (also very glad I didn't go to Game Empire last week and pick up those two codexes I'd been thinking about)

    Speaking of which... I hoped they gave all the games stores a good heads up on this. I'd be seriously pissed if I just ordered 50 new books for my store on Thursday and then this was announced.

    ReplyDelete